Monday, August 11, 2008

July 10, 2008- Our Miracle Arrives!

Luke Edward Johnson is born!

5:41 am
5 pounds, 11.5 ounces
18 inches

After 2 1/2 weeks in the hospital because of complications with placenta previa, I had a "hurried" c-section. I woke up at 2:30 am and knew something was wrong- more bleeding. I called the nurses who came running. As they were rushing me to the labor and delivery side of the hospital floor, I frantically called Troy and told him to get to the hospital as soon as possible. (I think it took him 15 minutes) His parents also came although not quite as fast. I was hooked up to monitors and the baby looked good but the bleeding would not stop. At 4:15 am, the nurse came in to say that Dr. Donnelley would be delivering me. Everything happened very fast- I am actually very thankful it was fast because I didn't have too much time to think about it all. I have never had surgery before so it was very scary for me. The c-section went well and as mentioned above Luke arrived at 5:41 am. It was an unbelievable moment- one I'll never forget. Because Luke was 6 weeks early, I was only able to give him a quick kiss before he was rushed to the NICU. 

Troy went with him to make sure he was okay. It seemed to take forever for the doctor to finish the surgery but I was back in a recovery room about 6:30 am. It was so hard to not be able to see Luke right away- I had to wait until late in the afternoon before I was able to get out of bed, into a wheelchair and travel down one floor to see him in the NICU.  


It was even harder to not be able to hold him right away. He was hooked up to all kinds of tubes and monitors- it really broke my heart. Thankfully he was okay except he needed some extra help breathing. It was a very long day but one that will be imprinted in my memory forever.

No comments: