Monday, October 12, 2009

15 Month Check-Up

Can you believe that Luke is already 15 months old? It seems like time just keeps speeding up. This morning we went for his 15 month check-up at the doctor and it seems like yesterday that we were there for his 1 year.

I won't start on doctors being on time- we didn't get to see the doctor until an hour past our appointment time. So aggravating!! Luke was a trouper though. In fact another mom in the waiting room commented on how nicely he was sitting in my lap. I mentioned we had been waiting for 30 minutes and she was really impressed. Yes, I can brag about how awesome my child is! That's part of being a mom.

Anyway, back to his appointment. Luke weighs 24 lb and 3 oz and is 30 1/2 inches long. I know the nurse told me what percentages those were but I can not remember now. The doctor was not at all concerned about Luke not walking much yet. In fact she said that children who have advanced verbal skills at this age typically walk later. If you've been around Luke lately, you know that he talks and jabbers up a storm. The doctor was quite surprised when I told her that he was saying at least 10 words already (it's more like 15 I figured out on the way home- bragging again, I know) :)

One of my biggest concerns was flu shots- both the seasonal flu and H1N1. The office was currently out of the seasonal shots and they are not going to get the H1N1 in their office. Luke's doctor said she has been undecided about the H1N1 vaccine which is how I was feeling about it before we talked. I don't much like the idea that it's brand new and the long term affects haven't been discovered yet. The doctor strongly encouraged me to get Luke vaccinated for the seasonal flu which I was planning on already and she said that since Luke is not exposed to many other children if we didn't get the H1N1 vaccine we would probably be okay. So, I'm not going to stress over it. I have a feeling it would be very difficult to find a location that actually had the shots for his age anyway. We'll just be extra careful about when we go out and I'll make sure that I clean off any shopping cart Luke sits in. It's seems like a blessing now that I wasn't able to get him enrolled in a mother's day out program.

One last note and I only have to say something because I myself hate needles. Luke had a terrible nurse (I think she may have been new). Poor guy had to get 3 shots today but it was a much more agonizing ordeal than necessary. During previous rounds of shots, nurses give them to him super fast and it's done in about 15 seconds. Today it was about a minute. The nurse would let go of his legs after each shot rather than holding him for all 3. Of course this made it much harder because he was mad (as I would be about shots) and flailing his legs which she then had to grab again making Luke that much more upset. I felt really horrible for my little guy- I wanted to give the nurse a shot to see how she liked it! Hopefully next time we have a different nurse and if not, I may ask for a different one.

No comments: