Monday, July 26, 2010

Swim Lessons

Last week and this week Luke is taking swim lessons. I'm in the water with him so I guess I could say we're taking swim lessons although I do already know how to swim. I had high hopes for this experience for Luke. He loves the water and also has no fear of it. I didn't think this would be too tough. I thought wrong.

Luke doesn't like to participate with the class much at all. Two of the biggest things we're working on: blowing bubbles and kicking. Luke loves to blow bubbles but not in class. He's also pretty good at kicking but not in class. It's very frustrating for me because I want this to be beneficial for him. The other part that is frustrating is that I know he can do this stuff. We went to the pool on Saturday and he did everything we've been working on in class when I asked him to. I'm not sure why Luke doesn't like the class setting. Hopefully this is not a sign of things to come.

There are a few things Luke does like to do. He loves to jump in the water. He has no problem holding his breath when he goes under and he's even gotten strong enough to hold onto the side of pool by himself (very good if he were to fall in accidentally). Luke also likes to glide. I think this is funny because it's almost the same position as when we work on kicking only his arms are above his head with his hands on top of each other. I figured out on Saturday that this is even more fun for him if you let him push off the wall with his feet. So there's hope in all of this somewhere even if my dream of an Olympic Gold in the 50 meter freestyle has faltered a little the past week. Luke is only just 2 so maybe I should cut him some slack :)

No comments: