Thursday, October 6, 2011

Tidbits from the Week

I have a bunch of random things floating around in my head from this week. I'm going to share them. Some are much longer than others but they are all worth sharing (from my perspective anyway).

**We've been potty training this week. I wanted to start on Sunday but it didn't happen until Monday. Luke has cried every morning this week except today when I told him we were going to put on underwear after taking off his diaper in the morning. Today he woke up with a dry diaper and saying, "Mom, I need to go potty." Hooray for progress!!! But back to the beginning.

Monday went really well. He only had one accident. The problem was he refused to poop on the potty and waited until he had his diaper on at nap time to do that. I figured with only 1 accident we were at least getting somewhere. We didn't leave the house all day and had a timer go off about every 25 minutes to remind us to go.

Tuesday was better. We still did the timer but Luke would tell me sometimes when it went off if he needed to go or not--more progress. He also waited until nap time to again go poop but we tried for over 10 minutes before he went down. Close to dinner time Luke had 2 accidents right in a row--the first of the day. I was a bit frustrated because I was trying to make dinner and he'd been doing so well. He told me he wouldn't have another accident so when the timer went off the next time I told him to sit on the potty until he went while I worked a bit on dinner. All the sudden he says, "Mom I pooped!" I was so excited that I scared him because I yelled so loud. He was proud of himself and he finally got his cars that we've had on the counter for over a month for this momentous occasion. What a great milestone!!!

Yesterday he went to school in underwear. I was concerned about this but didn't want to put him back in diapers. He only had 2 accidents at school which I thought was really good and none the rest of the day at home. I know that his teachers can't take him as often as if he were at home so I told him he did a good job and to try not to have any accidents today. I'm not holding my breath though because the firemen are bringing their fire engine today for all the kids to see; that equals major distraction.

**We had our appointment with the midwife yesterday to discuss having a VBAC. It went really, really well. It was very refreshing to have a positive reaction and encouraging answers to all of our questions. We both really liked the midwife and feel comfortable moving forward with doing a VBAC rather than another c-section. I'm still hesitant only because my pain tolerance is low and labor scares me a bit but I know it's the right thing to do for me and the baby.

So, the question is are we going to open the sealed envelope and find out if this baby is a boy or a girl? At this point I think we will. We have talked about making it a special event and we're debating between two options. Our anniversary is next week so that's one choice. The other is waiting until the weekend of the baby shower which is October 22 and opening it with most of our family here. We'll see :)

**Unfortunately Troy had to work late last night so Luke and I ate dinner without him. I absolutely love the conversation Luke started:

Luke: "Mom, how was the doctor today?"
Me: "It went really well Luke. Thanks for remembering."
Luke: "Did you have a busy day today?"
Me: "I did. I went to the doctor and Target. I had lunch and printed some pictures and I then I came to get you. Did you have a busy day?"
Luke: "I did Mom but I'll tell you about it tomorrow."
Me: "Why not today?"
Luke: "Because I'll tell you tomorrow."

I had told Luke yesterday morning that I was going to the doctor while he was at school. I'm super impressed that he remembered to ask me about it after his busy day at school and being very tired and a bit cranky because of his allergies.

**Luke asked yesterday afternoon to watch the baby movie. This is the 4D video we have from our ultrasound last week. It truly touches my heart that he is showing such an interest and concern for this baby already. While we were watching the video he pointed out the baby's nose, eyes, mouth, tongue and hands. He also asked me if that was the baby in my tummy several times. He even rested his hand on my tummy for part of the time we were watching. I can not wait to see his reaction when he meets this little one for the first time.

**This morning while waiting outside Luke's classroom for the teachers to open the door I was squatting in front of him reminding him about paying attention to his body and going potty when he needed to. He just randomly leaned over and gave me a big kiss and then a super big hug and said he loved me. I almost started crying. What a sweet, wonderful boy I have :)

No comments: